Hello! So I've been thinking a lot about how I want to use this blog: whether I want to limit it strictly to sharing weddings and sessions, whether I want it to be informational, or as a way for you to get to know my personality a little better. I think a combination of all three suits me best, so I'll be sharing ALL. KINDS. OF. THINGS. Weekend adventures, tips and tricks, client spotlights - all the good stuff!
For my first post, my friend Jessie (who also designed my website!) suggested I share some tips and tricks based on the most common question I'm asked when someone books a session: "so...what do we do?" The following is a short primer on preparing for your session.
When deciding what you and your significant other will wear for your session, there are a few general guidelines which are provided below. The most important thing to keep in mind though is what you will be comfortable in: it’s hard to act natural in your photos if you aren’t comfortable! With that in mind, the following are a few general suggestions for you to consider:
- base color: think neutrals (white, off-white, tan, gray, olive green, navy, and black).
- accent color: think complimentary bolds (for example, if you’ve chosen khaki as your base color and a brighter blue as your accent color, he might wear khaki pants with blue-based plaid shirt, while you wear a cream/off-white top/dress with a bright blue scarf, sweater, or piece of statement jewelry).
- accent patterns: if your man will be sporting a pattern, think large plaid patterns for him and stripes or large floral prints for you. Just make sure to keep everyone’s patterns in the same color scheme to create a cohesive look. Additionally, if you are worried about stripes making you appear wider than you are, stick with vertical instead of horizontal.
If you need some inspiration, I’ve created a Pinterest board with wardrobe suggestions. Feel free to check it out at https://www.pinterest.com/keeleymckay/wardrobe-suggestions/. And don’t be put off by the formal outfit choices you may see: those pins were chosen as much for their color choices as anything. Use it simply as inspiration to create a wardrobe from your own closet that you can feel comfortable and like yourself in!
My style is best described as lifestyle/documentary. This means I don’t spend much time posing people or setting up staged scenes with backdrops and props. I strive to capture your life as it really is, because I believe these will be more meaningful in the long run than a staged photograph. That being said, there is a little bit of “creation” involved, so please consider the following:
- What do you like to do together? If you’re into outdoor activities, you can plan your session around that: grab a sled, bundle up, and let’s head for the hills! Need a Christmas tree? Let’s get one together! Is hiking more your thing? Let’s go!
- What time of year will your session take place? If it’s in the summer, you can make just about any time of the day work (keeping in mind that the light will be better or worse depending on the time of day), but if it’s in the winter and there is snow on the ground, the reflection from the snow will create a glare. Also, if it’s cold, you may end up with red, runny noses - which is totally fine as long as you know your photos will reflect that.
- Indoor lifestyle sessions can be a unique way to capture you together: do you play games? Set up the Monopoly board, grab some snacks and have fun!
- Relaxation is key! Whatever you choose to do for your session, it’s often helpful if you are able to spend the day relaxing beforehand. Have breakfast together, listen to your favorite music, take a shot of your favorite whiskey, whatever you do that makes you happy - do that! This will help you go into the session happy, relaxed, and in sync.
I’ve found couples get the best photos when they are actively engaging in an activity together, rather than being instructed to look at me and smile over and over. This allows you to relax and it lets me capture your natural chemistry and interaction. So think about whatever it is that makes your relationship special and let’s build your session around YOU!